John Henley was a merchant and banker and considered one of Birmingham's founding fathers.
Thursday, May 12, 2016
Birmingham Photo of the Day (46): Robert H. Henley, First Mayor
The rather dapper looking gentleman in the photograph below is identified here as "John Henley--First Mayor of Birmingham." However, BhamWiki and the Encyclopedia of Alabama identify the first mayor as Robert H. Henley and include the photo below. Appointed by Governor Robert Lindsay in 1871, lawyer and journalist Henley contracted tuberculosis in early 1872 and died in April 1873 at the age of 30. He is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery. James Powell became the city's first elected Mayor in 1873.
John Henley was a merchant and banker and considered one of Birmingham's founding fathers.
John Henley was a merchant and banker and considered one of Birmingham's founding fathers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
In 2012 son Amos and I made a day trip to some historic sites in Montgomery. We saw a couple of other places as well, including the Clanton ...
-
Hey friends! I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend! Praying for all of those that have had horrible weather over the past week. Sno...
-
Large coal mining operations were often self-contained communities in the U.S., and the Edgewater Mine in western Jefferson County was no ex...
-
I recently ran across one of those fascinating tidbits of Alabama history worth sharing here. In Wayne Ruple's book Cleburne County [ I...
-
From August 1983 until December 2015 I worked as librarian for the Anesthesiology Department in the University of Alabama at Birmingham'...
-
This photo of the Alabama Theatre in July 1959 is from the Birmingham Public Library's Digital Collections . I wonder what kind of busin...
-
A number of black women born in Alabama have achieved great success or sometimes great controversy in their lives and careers. C...
-
No, this isn't a new remodeling or design post. This is a dramatic transformation from craft room craziness, to Thanksgiving brunch cen...
-
At some point in the dim mists of the past I ran across the Wikipedia entry for fiction and television writer William P. McGivern, which no...
-
I recently made a visit to the Pelham Cemetery and thought I would share some of what I found. Cemeteries can be places for solemn reflecti...

No comments:
Post a Comment