I was looking for something else recently at the wonderful Alabama Mosaic site and stumbled across the advertisement below. The ad appeared on May 8, 1930, in the Alabama Journal and the Times, a newspaper published in Montgomery from 1927 until 1940.
The "all-talking" film being promoted in its last showings at the Tivoli Theater was The Climax. By the early 1930's sound films were very popular in the U.S. and around the world.
The movie was based on a comedy that first ran on Broadway in 1909 and had four revivals there by 1933. None of the film's cast appeared in any of those versions.
You can learn more about Jean Hersholt, Kathyrn Crawford and LeRoy Mason at their Wikpedia pages. I assume "Universal News" is the Universal Newsreels released to theaters between 1929 and 1967. I have no idea what "Screen Song" is, although like the newsreel it's probably a short film. Presumably the two prices listed are for the floor and cheaper balcony seats.
The only thing I could find about the theater is that the Tivoli Theatre, Inc., was registered as an Alabama Domestic Corporation on December 4, 1928.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
In 2012 son Amos and I made a day trip to some historic sites in Montgomery. We saw a couple of other places as well, including the Clanton ...
-
Hey friends! I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend! Praying for all of those that have had horrible weather over the past week. Sno...
-
Large coal mining operations were often self-contained communities in the U.S., and the Edgewater Mine in western Jefferson County was no ex...
-
I recently ran across one of those fascinating tidbits of Alabama history worth sharing here. In Wayne Ruple's book Cleburne County [ I...
-
From August 1983 until December 2015 I worked as librarian for the Anesthesiology Department in the University of Alabama at Birmingham'...
-
This photo of the Alabama Theatre in July 1959 is from the Birmingham Public Library's Digital Collections . I wonder what kind of busin...
-
A number of black women born in Alabama have achieved great success or sometimes great controversy in their lives and careers. C...
-
No, this isn't a new remodeling or design post. This is a dramatic transformation from craft room craziness, to Thanksgiving brunch cen...
-
At some point in the dim mists of the past I ran across the Wikipedia entry for fiction and television writer William P. McGivern, which no...
-
I recently made a visit to the Pelham Cemetery and thought I would share some of what I found. Cemeteries can be places for solemn reflecti...

No comments:
Post a Comment