Friday, August 22, 2014
Birmingham Photo of the Day (20): Powell School
Here is another photograph from the 1908 book Views of Birmingham.
Today Powell School is a burned-out structure that came close to being demolished after a fire in January 2011. Built in 1888 on the site of the first city school, Powell is the oldest school building remaining in the city.
The photo below shows the school in its glory days. The winter season gives a good view of the building; three figures--perhaps students--are sitting in front to the right of the main entrance.
Birmingham City Schools closed Powell School in 2001, but continued to use the building for a few years. The structure was vacant at the time of the fire. In late 2011 the property was donated to the Alabama Trust for Historic Preservation.
The Bhamwiki site has an extensive history that includes a drawing of the original school that opened in 1874 and a photo of the building in 2008. In May 2014 the Birmingham News published an article indicating that the property may be purchased from the Trust and the building renovated into apartments. One can only hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
In 2012 son Amos and I made a day trip to some historic sites in Montgomery. We saw a couple of other places as well, including the Clanton ...
-
Hey friends! I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend! Praying for all of those that have had horrible weather over the past week. Sno...
-
Large coal mining operations were often self-contained communities in the U.S., and the Edgewater Mine in western Jefferson County was no ex...
-
I recently ran across one of those fascinating tidbits of Alabama history worth sharing here. In Wayne Ruple's book Cleburne County [ I...
-
From August 1983 until December 2015 I worked as librarian for the Anesthesiology Department in the University of Alabama at Birmingham'...
-
This photo of the Alabama Theatre in July 1959 is from the Birmingham Public Library's Digital Collections . I wonder what kind of busin...
-
A number of black women born in Alabama have achieved great success or sometimes great controversy in their lives and careers. C...
-
No, this isn't a new remodeling or design post. This is a dramatic transformation from craft room craziness, to Thanksgiving brunch cen...
-
At some point in the dim mists of the past I ran across the Wikipedia entry for fiction and television writer William P. McGivern, which no...
-
I recently made a visit to the Pelham Cemetery and thought I would share some of what I found. Cemeteries can be places for solemn reflecti...

No comments:
Post a Comment