One of the big events in recent Birmingham history was the opening of Railroad Park in downtown in September 2010. The park was created from the Railroad Reservation, an expanse in the middle of the city's street grid that was 1000 feet wide and almost a mile in length. The reservation had been announced by the Elyton Land Company in January 1872 during Birmingham's early development. The train tracks are still active today, but the site is now also the scene of everything from concerts to yoga classes. This development has been important to Birmingham's ongoing transformation.
The undated photograph below was taken by O.V. Hunt, and shows the Railroad Reservation looking west across the Southern Railroad freight houses. In the near view is the 21st Street or "Rainbow" viaduct, opened in May 1919. The bridge is dedicated to members of the 167th Infantry Regiment, a part of the famed World War I "Rainbow" division. The large building in the distance was the Crane Company's plumbing supply house.
The vehicles in the photo would seem to indicate the picture was taken before 1940.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
In 2012 son Amos and I made a day trip to some historic sites in Montgomery. We saw a couple of other places as well, including the Clanton ...
-
Hey friends! I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend! Praying for all of those that have had horrible weather over the past week. Sno...
-
Large coal mining operations were often self-contained communities in the U.S., and the Edgewater Mine in western Jefferson County was no ex...
-
I recently ran across one of those fascinating tidbits of Alabama history worth sharing here. In Wayne Ruple's book Cleburne County [ I...
-
From August 1983 until December 2015 I worked as librarian for the Anesthesiology Department in the University of Alabama at Birmingham'...
-
This photo of the Alabama Theatre in July 1959 is from the Birmingham Public Library's Digital Collections . I wonder what kind of busin...
-
A number of black women born in Alabama have achieved great success or sometimes great controversy in their lives and careers. C...
-
No, this isn't a new remodeling or design post. This is a dramatic transformation from craft room craziness, to Thanksgiving brunch cen...
-
At some point in the dim mists of the past I ran across the Wikipedia entry for fiction and television writer William P. McGivern, which no...
-
I recently made a visit to the Pelham Cemetery and thought I would share some of what I found. Cemeteries can be places for solemn reflecti...

No comments:
Post a Comment