I'm going to begin a series featuring books, pamphlets, articles, and whatever from the past that relate to Alabama in some way. These posts will consist of title pages, brief comments and a link to the full text.
First up is this 1888 pamphlet by William Shephard Walsh [1854-1919], "Alabama." He seems to have been a prolific author of his day. The item was published by the J.B. Lippincott Company in Philadelphia, a firm still operating today. There are only a few pages of text.
I'm guessing Lippincott may have published such pamphlets for each state, since it gives an overview of geography, resources, towns, etc.
This work can be found at the wonderful Internet Archive, which notes it has been downloaded 409 times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
In 2012 son Amos and I made a day trip to some historic sites in Montgomery. We saw a couple of other places as well, including the Clanton ...
-
Hey friends! I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend! Praying for all of those that have had horrible weather over the past week. Sno...
-
Large coal mining operations were often self-contained communities in the U.S., and the Edgewater Mine in western Jefferson County was no ex...
-
I recently ran across one of those fascinating tidbits of Alabama history worth sharing here. In Wayne Ruple's book Cleburne County [ I...
-
From August 1983 until December 2015 I worked as librarian for the Anesthesiology Department in the University of Alabama at Birmingham'...
-
This photo of the Alabama Theatre in July 1959 is from the Birmingham Public Library's Digital Collections . I wonder what kind of busin...
-
A number of black women born in Alabama have achieved great success or sometimes great controversy in their lives and careers. C...
-
No, this isn't a new remodeling or design post. This is a dramatic transformation from craft room craziness, to Thanksgiving brunch cen...
-
At some point in the dim mists of the past I ran across the Wikipedia entry for fiction and television writer William P. McGivern, which no...
-
I recently made a visit to the Pelham Cemetery and thought I would share some of what I found. Cemeteries can be places for solemn reflecti...

No comments:
Post a Comment