A 26-page pamphlet was soon published documenting the event; the items below are from a third edition available in the Birmingham Public Library's Digital Collections. The work contains more photos and eyewitness accounts. An entry on the storm is also available on the BhamWiki site.
Sunday, June 15, 2014
Birmingham Photo of the Day (15): Tornado of March 1901
On Monday morning, March 25, 1901, a tornado passed through Birmingham and Irondale and other areas. Sixteen people were killed in those two towns.
A 26-page pamphlet was soon published documenting the event; the items below are from a third edition available in the Birmingham Public Library's Digital Collections. The work contains more photos and eyewitness accounts. An entry on the storm is also available on the BhamWiki site.
A 26-page pamphlet was soon published documenting the event; the items below are from a third edition available in the Birmingham Public Library's Digital Collections. The work contains more photos and eyewitness accounts. An entry on the storm is also available on the BhamWiki site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
In 2012 son Amos and I made a day trip to some historic sites in Montgomery. We saw a couple of other places as well, including the Clanton ...
-
Large coal mining operations were often self-contained communities in the U.S., and the Edgewater Mine in western Jefferson County was no ex...
-
Hey friends! I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend! Praying for all of those that have had horrible weather over the past week. Sno...
-
I recently ran across one of those fascinating tidbits of Alabama history worth sharing here. In Wayne Ruple's book Cleburne County [ I...
-
From August 1983 until December 2015 I worked as librarian for the Anesthesiology Department in the University of Alabama at Birmingham'...
-
This photo of the Alabama Theatre in July 1959 is from the Birmingham Public Library's Digital Collections . I wonder what kind of busin...
-
A number of black women born in Alabama have achieved great success or sometimes great controversy in their lives and careers. C...
-
No, this isn't a new remodeling or design post. This is a dramatic transformation from craft room craziness, to Thanksgiving brunch cen...
-
At some point in the dim mists of the past I ran across the Wikipedia entry for fiction and television writer William P. McGivern, which no...
-
Maple Hill Cemetery in Huntsville is a place crowded with tombstones and history. The original portion dates from the early 1820's and ...
No comments:
Post a Comment